I hope you got to enjoy the Beyonce concert over the weekend. I know I did!
Clearly the Super Dome was NOT ready for her jelly.
I understand what that’s like. Heh. Seriously though… I’ve caused a power outage by being too bootylicious….
JK ALL DAY!
That never really happened…
But I do I love Beyonce.
She’s my friend Adrienne’s spirit animal.
You think I’m joking about that…but I’m not.
Alright, alright that’s enough crazy talk for one day. Let’s move on to what’s actually import at here now, shall we?
SUPER BOWL SNACKSSSSS!!!!!!
Now of course, snacks like the recipe I intend to share with you can be enjoyed whenever you see fit. There are certain ones that I save for special occasions and gatherings – like the Super Bowl for example! This is the case for several reasons:
- These snacks would be less super and special if you served them all the time.
- These snacks will make you super popular among all of your friends, family, and consumers of said snacks. You don’t want people knocking down your door for them all the time.
- These snacks are not all that healthy and, as such, should be enjoyed in moderation. (If – ya know – you’re into the healthy sorta thing.)
Two of my personal favorite snacks for special occasion/sporting event and the like are pigs in a blanket and jalapeño poppers.
Pigs in a blanket, because, well, they’re adorable! The crispy-flaky-pastry-crust wrapped around the savory little hotdog is such fun! I have a hard time resisting mini things in general and pigs in a blanket are no exception!
Jalapeño poppers are another one of my most favorite things. I love spicy things. I love cheesy things. Together – ugh – haha – I start to have a hard time with the whole “moderation” thing. Personally I prefer cheddar poppers to cream cheese ones…but I wouldn’t say no to either!
What I’m about to present to you is one of my favorite recipes I’ve ever made ever ever ever. It’s the love child of the pig in a blanket and the jalapeño popper…and it’s totally flippin delicious. I call them…
PUDGY PIGGY POPPERS
- 1 pack of your favorite hot dogs (8 dogs – big guys! DO NOT use mini dogs for this recipe unless you have LOADS of patience. I don’t.)
- 2 tubes of crescent roll dough (I always use the Pillsbury Reduced fat ones – because why not reduce the fat where ya can…ya know?)
- 1 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened (Again…I use reduced fat…do whatever makes ya happy!)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup picked jalapeños, chopped (Jarred or canned. Whichever you can find. I’ve used fresh peppers before, too. It’s delicious either way. I’d only use about 3 fresh peppers.)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine the softened cream cheese with the cheddar, jalapeños, and garlic until everything is thoroughly combined.
It will look something like this.
Take your hot dogs and cut a deep slit from one end of the dog to the other, being careful not to slice it completely in half.
Using a spoon (or your hands…or both) fill each slit with the cream cheese mixture.
It’s kind of messy, and it’s okay if they’re overflowing a bit!
Pop open your crescent roll dough (1 tube at a time) and separate your triangles and slice each in half (You should get 16 out of each tube).
Cut each hot dog into quarters, being careful not to squeeze out too much filling!
To construct your piggy poppers, take one quarter of a dog and place it – cheesy side down – onto on of your crescent wrappers.
Try to stretch the dough around as much of the dog as possible and roll it up.
Place seam side down on a baking sheet and repeat until all of your dogs are wrapped.
Place in the preheated oven at and cook until golden brown – about 12 minutes.
PATIENCE now, my friends, as the cheesy filling is super hot right now.
Let cool for about 10 (okay, who am I kidding, more like 5) minutes before
These guys right here…they’ll change your life. One delicious bite at a time.